FAQs: Human Sciences Honors

What are the advantages of membership?

When is my Honors paperwork due?

Is there funding available to help me with my CHS Honors Project?

How do I apply for membership?

How do I make changes to my program of study?

Where can I find general information about the Honors Program?

The University Honors Program staff can provide general information about the honors program procedures and policies. The College of Human Sciences Honors Program sets procedures for the CHS Honors Program, approves programs of study/degree programs and the Honors Project Proposals, and monitors student performance to meet GPA requirements.

How do I start preparing my program of study?

The process begins by clearly defining your career and educational goals. Your academic adviser can help you identify faculty, students, and professionals outside of the university to get information to form your career and educational goals. You can also look at information from professional societies or graduate and professional schools. Also talk to faculty in courses that you take who teach or perform research in areas of interest to you. See a list of CHS Honors contacts for help determining who to contact.  Once you are ready to begin the paperwork, you can find the Program of Study on the website.

How do I develop my Honors Project?

Talk to faculty members who are doing work in areas that you have an interest. They may be faculty from whom you have taken a course. Look at the research interests of faculty. A great place to look is under each faculty member’s contact page.

During your junior year you should select your research interest area, meet with potential project advisers, know the scope of your project, and begin background research on the subject. The Honors Project does not have to be in your major. Check the CHS Honors website for additional tips on the Honors Project process.

How do I register for my Honors Project?

Once you have completed your project proposal form and received approval, please work with your Faculty Project Adviser to sign up for the course. They will need to email your academic adviser all details to add the research credits including course, section, and number of credits. Credits assigned will depend on the scope and complexity of the project. Your faculty project adviser will be responsible for assessing the project. 

I would like to contract a course to earn Honors credit, but the course does not have an “H” designator. What do I do?

Interested students should meet with the instructor, either before the term begins or as early in the term as possible, to develop a plan for the semester. After meeting with the instructor, the student is responsible for writing a summary of about 150 words outlining how the Honors designation for the course will be earned, including a schedule of meetings and a means of sharing the results of the student’s learning. The student is also responsible for turning in to the Honors Office (2130 Jischke; 294-4371 or honors@iastate.edu) this summary, a copy of the course syllabus, and a contract signed by both student and instructor, no later than Friday of the fourth week of the semester. Upon approval by the Honors Office, the student will carry out the work outlined in the contract. Honors will notify the Registrar's Office and the “H” designation is added to the course number on the student's permanent record. Once the grade is submitted at the end of the term, the “H” course will appear on the degree audit. For more information visit the University Honors Program.

I have questions that aren’t on this website, who should I contact?

For basic logistics of the program, Laura Kilbride is the CHS honors coordinator. You can reach her at kilbride@iastate.edu or 515-294-8436.

Research questions should be directed to your faculty project adviser. 

You can find out a list of the CHS Honors contacts here.